Friday, May 20, 2011

A Legacy

5-19-11
I’m moved to tears. I just received a very special gift from an elderly couple in my church. Periodically my dad visits them and when my sister and I are with him we go as well. A lot of young people would be bored with visiting older people who talk about how things used to be and reminisce about earlier times in their lives, however, we find what they have to say both important and interesting. Think about it. How much have these two people seen in their lives? How long have they been trusting God? Imagine the wisdom and understanding and experience they have. Instead of an obligation it’s an honor to know and spend time with these faithful children of God. They have been faithful to God for so many years. Me, I’ve been a Christian for about 10 years. That’s just a small fraction compared to them. So, in a way, they are Christian mentors to my family. All of my great grandparents have passed away and that makes our relationship to this couple even more enriching. This couple couldn’t afford to buy something or give money for my graduation. Instead they pieced together a very thoughtful package of Christian books and sources. One thing that really touched me was my great grandparents’ funeral cards and obituaries tucked inside one of the books. My great grandparents’ were spiritual giants in my eyes. Both were leaders in our small church and it’s because of them that I was raised hearing about Jesus and his love for me. It was their gentle influence, flowing through our family, which led me to accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior. Out of all the decisions I’ve made in my life, even the decision to heal from abuse, making Jesus the Lord of my life has been the greatest and best decision I’ve ever made. My great grandparents’ have left a legacy of following Christ and trusting God in all things great and small. Including their funeral cards and obituaries in the gift seemed to say “They left a legacy and you are continuing that legacy.” That really touched me. I’ve never really counted myself as very important, but seeing the fruit, being the fruit, of the efforts of my great grandparents changed my perspective. They impacted many generations after them and I have the same potential. Just as God worked in them God is working in me. It isn’t our individual abilities and strengths that impact the world for God, it’s our surrender to and faith in God that enables us to show the world God’s light, like a lamp on its stand, like a city on a hill.

You have been reading Simply Life by Faith

Faith_inpresentdarkness

No comments:

Post a Comment