Monday, May 2, 2011

This Little Light of Mine

I've decided that I want to go public with my blog, that meaning that I want my friends to know about it. I want to spread it on facebook. The very same day that I posted my last post I got a message from a friend that had read it. Her message really encouraged me and helped me see that I really can reach others through my testimony. I know that my testimony is one that people don't normally ask to be given during a retreat or Bible study night. Sexual abuse and rape are kinda taboo subjects. People feel uncomfortable when they hear about it. My aim is not to make others feel uncomfortable. I just want to share my story and not be silent and ashamed about it anymore. Not talking about it only serves to make survivors feel ashamed about their pasts. My hope is that me talking about it and sharing how I've been healing from abuse will encourage others. I want to share God through my testimony. Just posting part of my story on my last post and then reading a response from a friend has helped me heal a little bit more.

Of course sexual abuse and rape aren't going to be the only topics on this blog. This blog is still titled Simply Life by Faith. It's about my life and my life isn't defined by something bad that happened to me. I going to talk about all kinds of things in my life. So don't worry, this blog isn't going to be a constant downer. I've just been amazed and inspired to reach others with my story, both the joy and the tears of it. That being said, I do want to mention the awesome day I had today.

Some of my friends and I all went to Knoxville today. We visited this really big and really amazing used bookstore. It was the biggest book store I think I've ever been in, and the prices were really great. I walked out with 5 books in all. I can have no doubts that I chose the right two majors in college. My majors are psychology and religion. I bought two books from the Professional Psychology section and two books from the Christian Living section. My fifth book came out of a random section (can't remember the name), but it's also related to psychology because it about how to see a person's personality in his/her handwriting. I've always found that topic interesting and now I've finally found a book on it! Later we went to the movies to see Jane Eyre. I've never read the book, to the utter disbelief and horror of my roommate. I didn't expect it to be so scary. I thought it would be more chick flicky but there were several spooky scenes in this movie. Now I want to read the book because the movie was really interesting, and, yes, in a psychological way lol. I'm a psych nerd, what can I say? I've always liked to learn about people and understand them. I'm not all about analyzing people. That's uncomfortable to go through and not really reliable. Instead I like to build relationships with people and get to know them personally. I have a passion for other people and their stories.

Well, it's really late and finals start tomorrow . . . or later this morning depending on how you see it. lol.

You have been reading Simply Life by Faith :)

-Faith_inpresentdarkness

P.S. -For those of you who don't know, my real name is not Faith. I use it as a pseudo-name because my name is really unique and I try to be careful about the personally identifying information I share on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment